Property Sale Requirements
In 2014, the City of East Bethel started requiring that properties get a Septic Compliance Report prior to a sale or transfer. A Septic Compliance Inspection and Report can be obtained from an SSTS Inspector. You may use any MPCA licensed Septic Inspector found here: https://webapp.pca.state.mn.us/ssts/business-search
If that Septic Compliance Report indicates a passing septic system, than the property sale or transfer may proceed as normal so long as the city has a copy of that passing report.
Property Sale with a Non-compliant Septic System Requirements
If the Septic Compliance Report indicates a failing septic system, than there are two options to move forward with:
1. Repair or replace the septic system to bring it up-to-code prior to the property sale or transfer.
2. Go through the escrow process outlined below prior to the property sale or transfer.
Here is a walk-though of the septic escrow process:
- Acquire a septic design to repair or replace the failing septic system
- Submit a septic design to the East Bethel Building Dept for plan review (allow 10 business days for plan review) along with a septic permit application. You can leave the septic installer information blank if you do not know who will be doing the install. But it is important to leave your own contact information on this application so that city staff can notify you once the design has been approved.
- Once you have been notified that the design is approved, you can then acquire two (2) estimates/bids on installing the septic system that was designed and approved.
- Submit the following information all at once:
- The completed Property Sale with Noncompliant Septic escrow application
- The two install estimates/bids
- A check or money order for 125% of the price listed on the highest estimate
Once these items have been submitted and approved by the City, than you may proceed with the closing.
The deadline for the septic system being brought up-to-code will be 10 months from the closing date for standard noncompliance.
As soon as the new/repaired septic system passes the final inspection, than the escrow will be released to whomever is stipulated in the escrow application.
For questions on this process, please contact Amy Norling, Administrative Assistant, at 763-367-7844.